I love Instagram Stories. I find that they’re more fun and interactive than the feed and people are more engaged with content from users who regularly use the features. That being said, one of the most common questions I get asked on Instagram isn’t how to increase your following or connect with your audience, but actually how to write with those cute, thin lines! You know, the ones that people who must have taken calligraphy classes have on their stories. They’re also an adorable addition to a post when used to draw swirly arrows and designs. Something like this:
It’s crazy simple to do, but the feature is a bit hidden and can be tough to find. All you need to do is follow the instructions below to get that perfect thin line for your post. Be sure to watch the video at the end for a simple walk-through on how to find it- and don’t forget to tag me once you start adding it to your stories!
1. Open Instagram
2. In the top left-hand corner, click the camera icon to open your Insta-stories
3. In the bottom left-hand corner of that screen, tap the photo
4. Choose a photo/background that you would like to use
5. On the top right-hand side of the screen, you’ll see three icons. Click the middle icon- the one that looks like a pen.
6. Once you click the pen icon, you’ll see a bar running vertically on the left-hand side of the screen with a circle on it
7. Hold and drag the circle up or down to choose varying degrees of thickness for your writing. Dragging the circle to the bottom of the bar will make your line the thinnest.
8. Along the bottom of the screen, you’ll see color options. Clicking one will change your line color. You can also choose eyedropper icon in the bottom left corner and drag the bubble to a designated color in your photo to write with a color that is in your scheme.
9. Now write/scribble/draw! Practice makes perfect when it comes to cursive freehand writing on your stories.